Enter your search term & enter. Esc or X to close.

Transfer FAQs

What do I need to apply?
Although Christian Brothers' traditional undergraduate and adult undergraduate programs process applications separately, the information needed to complete an application is the same:

  • Completed application form for the appropriate program (Undergraduate or Adult Learner)
  • One-time only application fee of $25.00
  • Official transcripts from all colleges attended
  • Writing Request: Adult Learners - Personal letter of request for admission, including relevant details for consideration

How do I get accepted?
In keeping with our Lasallian philosophy, CBU will consider any student who is in good standing at the last college he/she attended. While this does not guarantee admission, it does serve to meet the first criteria in the decision-making process.

Other qualifications the Admissions Committee desires include:
A cumulative 2.3 college Grade Point Average or higher in transferrable credits, preparatory courses within the student's major, such as Pre-Calculus for those interested in Biology/Pre-Med, strong Math and English skills, in general, and the desire to grow academically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually.

What will transfer?
Any non-remedial, academic, course from an institution with an accreditation recognized by CBU in which you have earned a grade of "C" or better will be accepted for transfer. On average, freshman and first semester sophomore course requirements vary less among institutions than do upper divisional courses. Your major's Department Chair and/or the Dean of your particular school will evaluate how these courses can be used to fulfill your graduation requirements.

Only credit hours from your transferred courses will be posted to your permanent record. No grade point average will transfer. Your GPA will be solely based upon the coursework you complete at CBU.

If you receive 24 semester hours of credit, you will be classified as a sophomore, 60 semester hours will classify you as a junior, and 90 semester hours will classify you as a senior.

Please note that you will have to complete 35 of the last 70 hours applied toward your degree here at CBU in order to meet the residency requirements and thereby obtain a degree. Certain schools and/or departments may have additional restrictions concerning the completion of courses in their majors. Consult the Catalog to determine if your major is one of these.

Also note that optional minors require 50% of the courses be taken here at CBU. A formal evaluation of your credit hours will be produced once your final transcripts have arrived from all of your previous institutions.

Does AP or military credit transfer?
It can. Credit for AP is usually granted for scores of 4 and 5. AP scores of 3 are evaluated individually by the Chair of the Department where the course resides. That Department Chair decides the type of credit to be granted and the college course(s) that's omitted in place of AP credit. The maximum number of credit hours that can be granted is 30.

As for any military experience, credit for military schooling is awarded as recommended by the Commission of Accreditation of Service Experiences of the American Council on Education to the extent that the credit is applicable to the degree you're seeking. Credit is also allowed for college courses you complete satisfactorily through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Of course, they are subject to the usual rules involving credit of this nature.

Any questions concerning AP credit or veteran's benefits should be directed to the Registrar's Office.

Can I test out of a course?
You can if the department offers a Challenge Exam in that particular course and you are willing to pay $100 to take it one-time only. Be forewarned that Challenge Exams test for an academic mastery of that particular subject area. The exam may cover topics that you have not been exposed to through previous class work or job experience. Official procedures for Challenge Exams are outlined on a form available from the Registrar's Office.

Does CBU have scholarships for transfer students?
CBU takes great pleasure in offering merit-based scholarships to transfer students with outstanding academic records. To qualify for an academic award, a student must submit a completed application for admissions along with their official high school transcript, official college transcript(s), and a $25 application fee. Your application for admissions serves as your application for scholarship.

The scholarship committee will consider any transfer student who has maintained a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8 from a college or university that has an accreditation recognized by CBU. The scholarship award ranges from $6000 to $10000 per academic year. These awards can only be used during the regular academic year (fall and spring semesters) for full time undergraduate day students. CBU also offers need based financial aid for students who qualify.

To find out more, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Do you have athletic scholarships?
As a member of the NCAA Division II Gulf South Conference, CBU offers athletic scholarships in a variety of sports. The availability of these scholarships can be determined by contacting the appropriate coach, but before you do, make sure that you have a release sent from the Athletic Director at your college to the Athletic Director at CBU. The coach can't talk to you until CBU has received this.

In the meantime, here's a list of intercollegiate sports offering play in Division II. Not all offer scholarships.

  • Baseball
  • Basketball (Men and Women)
  • Cross Country (Men and Women)
  • Golf (Men and Women)
  • Soccer (Men and Women)
  • Softball (Women)
  • Tennis (Men and Women)
  • Volleyball (Women)

How do I register?
Instructions will be sent after you have been accepted and prior to the start date for your intended semester or term. The registration differs somewhat between the traditional Undergraduate program and the Graduate/Professional Studies (Adult Learner) program, but generally it includes a period in which you meet with an advisor and register for your courses.

Each Program also offers a special Orientation in order to familiarize you with the campus, it's rules and regulations, and provide time to obtain books, student ID's, car decals, and a payment plan for the semester/term.