Welcome to Residence Life
On behalf of the Office of Residence Life, I would like to welcome you to the Christian Brothers University. Residence Life is committed to providing a living and learning environment which will enhance the academic endeavors of our students. Additionally, the staff is committed to improving the quality of life on campus by serving as a resource to students in the residence halls and apartment complexes. A major goal for the on-campus experience is to assist students as they learn and grow in many aspects of their lives. Another goal is to provide comfortable, affordable, well-maintained and safe housing along with a varied and high quality menu in the dining centers.
We are committed to acting with integrity and dignity in our response to residents and we promote an environment that celebrates diversity and is based on the principles of good citizenship. Our program is built upon the foundation of communication; therefore, I would like to personally encourage you to build relationships with our staff so we can provide you with opportunities for the best possible experience while you are living with us.
Once again, I would like to welcome you to the Christian Brothers community. If there is any way our department can be of service to you, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Alton Wade, Jr
Director of Residence Life
It is the mission of Residence Life to provide safe and well maintained facilities that creates an exclusive living and quality learning environment that both challenges and supports the personal, social, and academic development of our residents.
The Office of Residence Life will be the leading provider and innovator of the university residential experience that supports the retention and growth of Christian Brothers University and Residence Life.
Residence halls are more than just a place to lay your head. It also means being part of a community where you can learn and grow mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
As a result of living on campus and engaging in opportunities provided by Residence Life at Christian Brothers University, residents will:
- Develop skills for effective interpersonal communication, collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Gain independence.
- Get exposed to resources and programs to explore career and academic options, while being prompted to engage in intellectual exchange with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Students will show their understanding of the Catholic values and Lasallian traditions of Christian Brothers University by upholding the policies reflected in The Compass, Student Handbook.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships, develop their individual identities, and value diverse perspectives by engaging with others in a diverse residential community.
- Exhibit wellness in their academic and personal lives.
- Develop a broad cultural awareness.
- Through their positions, student staff will learn to employ leadership, mediation, and helping skills in their residential communities and beyond the College campus.
Advantages of Living on Campus
Living on campus is a better university experience...the research tells it all!
National research indicates that living on campus contributes to greater overall satisfaction with and success in college. This research shows that students living on campus:
- Graduate at a higher rate.
- Earn better grades and have higher GPAs than their non-resident counterparts.
- Get to class quicker and are on-time more often.
- Develop stronger ties to the university and build a stronger sense of community identity.
- Develop more meaningful relationship with their peers.
- Avoid hassles of traffic and parking, while saving money on gas.
- Finish college sooner, often saving significant tuition money.
- Eat meals without cooking or cleaning up.