Faculty-Staff Publications & Artistic Achievements
This list includes Christian Brothers University faculty and staff publications and artistic achievements from 1945 to 1998. Copies of many of these materials are on file at the Brother I. Leo O'Donnell Archives.
Faculty and staff who want their publications and artistic achievements listed here should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The De La Salle Christian Brothers Midwest Province Archival Record & Museum Collections
NOTICE: The Midwest Province Archives are now located in the Manhatten College O'Malley Library, 4513 Manhatten College Parkway, Bronx, NY, 10463 under the supervision of archivist, Ms. Amy Surak, 718-862-7139, email@example.com.
SELECTED GOVERNING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT, MAINTENANCE & USE OF THE ARCHIVE MATERIALS AND COLLECTIONS
The official name of the collections shall be the : DE LA SALLE CHRISTIAN BROTHERS ARCHIVES - MIDWEST DISTRICT
The archives collections will be housed at a location determined by the Brother Visitor for the District and/or his Council. At present, the archives is located in the Manhatten College O'Malley Library, 4513 Manhatten College Parkway, Bronx, NY, 10463 under the supervision of archivist, Ms. Amy Surak, 718-862-7139, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the archives shall be to centralize and organize the historical materials and records of the District in collecting, cataloguing, preserving, protecting, and restoring when necessary, those records and materials pertaining to the history of the Institute in general and the District in particular. The further purpose of the archives shall be to make available needed records to those persons authorized to view such information, materials, records or collections.
The District Archives serve not only as a historical depository but as a reminder of years of fruitful service given by the Brothers. Archival materials provide knowledge of our heritage, an appreciation for the dedication and sacrifice of those who ca me before - in whose footsteps we walk, and as an incentive to keep alive and viable the motivating spirit which marks one as a De La Salle Christian Brother. For these reasons the expansion and maintenance of the Archives should be a special concern for the administration and for the superiors of the district. Consideration must be given not only to the contents of the Archives but also to space, budget and personnel.
The DISTRICT ARCHIVES are the official depository for all documents and materials of any form, made or received by the District in the pursuit of its religious and legal obligations and in the transaction of its business. These documents reflect the internal development of the province, the conduct of its affairs as a legal corporation, the individual and personal lives of its members, and the people the Brothers have been called to serve in their ministries.
All accounts of functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations and other activities which provide information about the Brothers of the former St. Louis District, the Central - Chicago District, the Winona - St. Paul and Minneapolis Districts a nd the Midwest District, shall be deposited in the Archives permanently. The archives shall serve as a source of valuable information and serious research, not a warehouse for storage. The contents are not limited to the official papers of past administrative officers but will encompass anything and everything which helps to preserve the sense of history, the spirit and the charism of the De La Salle Christian Brothers in the District and worldwide.
The Archivist is appointed by the Brother Provincial of the Midwest District and serves in a staff position under him. His chief function is to manage and direct the various activities related to the Archives.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ARCHIVIST
The Archivist shall work to create an awareness of how the Archives can be of service both to the members of the District and to those they serve, The Archivist shall perform the following services:
- Publish inventories of archival materials on a periodical basis;
- Prepare archive-related materials for the Newsletter and other FSC publications;
- Assist researchers in their use of archival materials;
- Develop a program to educate the Brothers as to the materials that should be preserved;
- To increase archival holdings by correspondence with individuals and other sources;
- Maintain a Records Retention Service, keeping easily available for a specific time the records of house and departments within the District.
BASIS FOR POLICY DECISIONS
Most archival materials are protected by private law, that is by the Constitutions or by-laws of an organization, legislative ordinances, executive directives and approved policies. Religious profession records are considered public records and are th subject to public law. With the exceptional use of those records such as these that may be subject to public law, all materials contained or preserved within the archives are considered the exclusive property of the District (Institute) and are th governed by the policies of the Brother Visitor and/or his Council. In order to maintain autonomy of ownership of all materials maintained in the District Archives, the archives will not accept, nor care for, "on loan" items or papers from any source other than the Provincial offices.
PRINCIPAL KINDS OF RECORDS AND MATERIALS TO BE MAINTAINED
Current vital community/district records should be maintained in the archives. These are the records necessary for the rebuilding of the original "structure" of the community should existing records be destroyed by some disaster.
All administrative, historical and pertinent records and materials of the general administration, local houses/institutions, mission houses, various ministries in which the Brothers were and are engaged shall be sources from which materials are drawn for or the Archives.
Published Institute documents, histories, newsletters, etc. will be maintained in the archives. Books, articles and other materials published or printed by the District, Institute, or individual Brothers will be maintained whenever possible and available le.
TRANSFERAL OF RECORDS
The general rules governing the regular and orderly transfer of records to the archives are the following:
- Inactive files should be transferred immediately to the archives;
- Files used infrequently, less than once a year, should be transferred to the archives;
- District administrators, upon leaving appointed or elected offices, should transfer files, not required by their successors, to the archives before the day of their departure from office. Files generated while an elected or appointed person is in of office are the property of the office, not the individual, in which they are/were generated. Files must not be removed from offices at the end of a term of office except to be transferred to the archives.
- Under no circumstances should any file be destroyed or laundered in any manner prior to transfer or deposit in the archives.
MATERIALS USE AND RESTRICTIONS
The DISTRICT ARCHIVES is a private archives and therefore the records contained therein are NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AT ANY TIME without written permission from the Brother Provincial and/or his Council.
Those publics outside of the legal bounds of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools seeking to do GENERAL research from PUBLISHED material available to the general public may use those materials in this category contained in the archive s with the permission and at the request of the archivist. Without written permission of the Brother Visitor and/or his Council, no further research may be conducted.
Ordinarily Brothers of the district or houses or institutions or any of the apostolates or ministries may have access to the collections and general files of the archives. The use of these is at the discretion of the Archivist and may be in consultation with the Brother Provincial.
Other files or materials may, at the discretion of the Brother Provincial and/or his Council, be restricted for designated lengths of time:
- Administrative records (unless otherwise designated by the administrator) of every kind shall remain closed for a 25 year period; they can be used for reference with the permission of the present Brother Visitor and/or his council in consult consultation the Archivist.
- Personal records shall remain closed for a 60 year period; controlled use of these records may be made with permission of the Brother Visitor in consultation with the archivist.
- Unpublished written material of a deceased Brother may be made available to a researcher for legitimate use with permission of the archivist and in consultation with the Brother Visitor.
- Drop files on living Brothers are restricted to all but the Brother and the administrators of the District.
- Published materials are generally not restricted and are available to anyone for research or reading in the archives room.
- Academic records and/or transcripts will be released only when requested by appropriate authorities and permission of the individual concerned. A fee is charged and a letter of request must be on file.
- In response to inquiries by the family members, friends, researchers or others for information about present or former, living or deceased members of the Institute, no information will be released without a formal request to and approved by the Brother Visitor upon consultation/recommendation of the Archivist.
GUIDELINES FOR RESEARCH
The following guidelines shall be observed by researchers, whether members of the Institute or outside researchers:
- Permission to use the Archives must be made in writing to the Brother Visitor. Upon granting permission, Brother Visitor will send the letter of request to the Archivist for dispatch;
- Each researcher shall submit to the Archivist a statement of their purpose of the research and the records to be consulted;
- The use of certain documents may be restricted by statute, office, origin, or by request of the donor; the researcher may quote from these documents only with permission of the archivist and with due reference to the source;
- No one may use the Archives except authorized persons;
- The archivist will oversee the use of all materials requested in a designated area;
- No letter, memorandum, or document written by a person still living may be quoted, paraphrased or used in any way without the written consent of the author;
- The researcher must assume full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel and literary property rights which may be involved in the use of manuscripts and other archival materials.
HANDLING OF ARCHIVAL MATERIALS
Records shall be handled with care, they shall not be traced over or marked upon; therefore, no carbon, ink or ballpoint pens are permitted in the research area - only pencils may be used.
If permission is given for reproduction of materials, the process is carried out by the archivist. Those requesting materials to be reproduced must pay for them in advance. A reproduction is provided solely for the convenience of examining the manuscript and must be returned upon completion of the research.
The reproduction may not be further copied, examined or transferred elsewhere without prior written permission. Permission to reproduce material does not constitute to publish.
If permission is given for the use of materials for publication, two copies of the publication are to be sent (at the author's expense) to the Archives. A thesis or dissertation is considered a publication.
No book, document, manuscript or other item may be removed from the Archives.
The Leslie H. Kuehner Napoleon Collection
In spring 2011 the decision was made to integrate the Kuehner Collection at Christian Brothers University in Memphis and the Lemke Napoleon Collection at DePaul University in Chicago. The Lemke collection has been enhanced with estate gifts from Chicagoans Max Thorek and Milton Lewis and the collection is now over 4,000 volumes.
In October of 2011 the Kuehner books and materials (over 1,300 pieces) from Christian Brothers University were hand delivered to the Richardson Library at DePaul. The administrations of both DePaul and CBU were excited and pleased that these two collections would help one another in being an important collection of Napoleon materials for researchers. Those wishing to use the Lemke Collection may do so by contacting Special Collections at www.library.depaul.edu.
About the Leslie H. Kuehner Napoleon Collection
Leslie H. Kuehner was a devoted bibliophile whose collecting energies were focused on work relating to the life and career of Napoleon Bonaparte. The period of his collecting career spanned eight decades and culminated with the gift of his collection of books, sculpture and other memorabilia to Christian Brothers University in 1978 shortly before his death. The collection, which Kuehner believed may well have comprised the most complete private collection of its kind in the world, cost him over $15,000 to assemble in his lifetime.
When the collection arrived at Christian Brothers University it was a rich trove of approximately 1300 books and other Napoleonic memorabilia. While the collection is composed of books in twelve languages (English, Russian, Arabic, Flemish, Swedish, Japanese, Norwegian, German, Italian, French, Greek, Polish and Braille), only a handful of books are written entirely in French, Napoleon's native language. The real strength of this collection is its English materials which expose the British reaction to this French phenomena through books written during Victorian and Edwardian years about Napoleon and his campaigns.
In January of 1995 the entire collection of books was placed under the care of Brother I. Leo O'Donnell Archives. Christian Brothers University was fortunate to have this valuable collection.
The Reverend John Joseph Higgins Collection
The Reverend John Joseph Higgins Collection was donated to Christian Brothers University by Judge & Mrs. Thomas Aquinas Higgins, Katherine Higgins Brogden, and Margaret Higgins Thompson "to honor a man called by God to be his missionary" in 1994. Comprised of the personal library and readings of Reverend John J. Higgins M.M, it includes 158 books and pamphlets. Subjects covered include the history of Bolivia and of the Catholic Church in South America, and related topics.
Contact email@example.com for more information on this collection.
About Father Higgins
Born in 1925, John J. Higgins, the eldest of four children, was baptized, educated and first received the sacraments in the Cathedral parish in Nashville. He attended Father Ryan High School and later graduated from Peabody Demonstration School. He continued his studies at Peabody College until September, 1945, when he entered the Maryknoll Seminary in Ossining, New York, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Religious Education degrees.
Ordained on June 14, 1952, the newly ordained Father Higgins was assigned to the Diocese of Cochabamba, Bolivia.
In the first years of his ministry, Father Higgins was assigned to parish work in the Church of Santa Ana of the Cala Cala district of Cochabamba, Bolivia. He also served the parishes of El Paso and Condebamba, among the Quechua-speaking native population.
In his first parish, located in a rural area, Father John decided to build a new church. Friends of his grandfather, Charles J. McGee, who worked for the Tennessee Central Railroad, donated a bell for the church which had once been a part of a Tennessee Central steam locomotive. Father John J. Considine later wrote of this "Tennessee-Bolivia" connection in an article in the Maryknoll magazine, Field Afar.
Father John also worked to build a clinic at Condebamba and staffed it with Maryknoll Sisters. In the same area he helped form a farming cooperative for some 25 families. In Cochabamba, Father Higgins became not only physically but also psychologically close to the people he served, and they to him.
An avid reader, he acquired a profound understanding of the history and struggle of the native Bolivians.His knowledge of Bolivian history caused him to devote attention to the restoration and embellishment of San Pedro Temple in the Bolivian capital, La Paz, where he was stationed in 1959. In 1962, he was named pastor of San Pedro Parish. In this parish, Father John ministered to some 40,000 parishioners, and much of his traveling was done on motorcycle or horseback.
First Banking Co-op
While in La Paz, Father John established Bolivia's first banking cooperative. Father John spearheaded the establishment of the San Pedro Savings and Credit Cooperative in April, 1964, and within three years had enrolled some 830 members. The October 16, 1988 issue of U. S. News and World Report quoted Father John as saying, "When we started, we held a 9 week course just to get across the idea that money would be safe in something besides jewelry and gold nuggets. And the idea you could put $100 in the bank and get back $110 in a year, without doing anything, was completely mystifying."
Father John organized the Congregation of Jesus of Nazareth, and the women of the parish assisted in many of the temporal needs of the imprisoned. He also aided many of the prisoners in staying out of jail once released.
Another project was the Saint Vincent Clinic. One of his last decisions before returning to the States was to move the clinic nearer the Maryknoll Sisters' house. A food kitchen was begun under his leadership, and some 80 people were fed a hot meal daily - oftentimes the only meal they had all day.
Father John Higgins, in his 15 years of ministry to the people of Bolivia, returned to his native Tennessee on only a few occasions. Once was in 1964, when he sang the Mass of Resurrection for his father's funeral at the Cathedral in Nashville.
His last trip home brought tragedy. The Maryknoll Society flew Father John to Washington, D.C., for a series of tests in September, 1967, which revealed terminal cancer. He was then flown to Nashville for treatment. Only three weeks later the 42-year-old priest, known as Father Juan by those he loved and served in Bolivia, died on September 26, 1967.
He was buried from the Cathedral of the Incarnation where the Mass of the Resurrection was sung by the Very Reverend John J. McCormack, Superior General of the Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America. Father John Higgins was laid to rest at Calvary Cemetery in Nashville. He was survived by his mother, two sisters (Mrs. Morris H. Brogden and Mrs. Walton C. Thompson) and his brother (Judge Thomas A. Higgins), all of Nashville.
Father Higgins told his mother shortly before his death, "If I had known of this in La Paz, I would have stayed to die among my faithful and have been buried in Bolivia."
On the octave of Father Higgins' death, a Mass was celebrated in his honor at his parish of San Pedro, La Paz, Bolivia.
When looking over the 15 years Father John spent in priestly devotion to his "people," one might recall the words of his first pastor, Monsignor Albert A. Siener, on the day Father Higgins celebrated his first Solemn High Mass in the Cathedral of the Incarnation in Nashville.
The priest has titles of honor, which endear him to his people. He is the shepherd who watches over and guards his flock from danger, who leads it into green pastures and goes in search of lost sheep. He is a mediator between God and man. He is an ambassador, a herald bringing to men the glad tidings of redemption. He is a minister of Christ and a dispenser of His mysteries. But of all the titles there is none more significant nor more honorable than that of Father.
This title sums up in a word all those dear ties which bind him to his people. He is the spiritual father who regenerated them in baptism and made them children of God, who watches over them with parental care; their unfailing friend in time of need, their counselor in affliction, the sharer of their joys and sorrows. The priest may receive from the church other titles of distinction, but none can ever be dearer to him than that of Father.
-- Adapted from The Tennessee Register, April 13, 1987.
The Edward F. Barry Collection
Adapted from "THE MAN AND THE COLLECTION" by James C. McWillie
Edward F. Barry (1893 - 1984) was born in Memphis, Tennessee on April 28, 1893, son of Edward Barry who immigrated from County Cork, Ireland around 1850 and Annie Maude Kelly of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was baptized at Sacred Heart Catholic Church and later attended Sacred Heart Grade School in Memphis.
Ed attended Christian Brothers College, Memphis, Tennessee, the Junior High School Division, from 1908 to 1910, but graduated high school from Marquette Academy, Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1912. He attended St. Mary's College, St. Mary's, Kansas where he received his A.B. degree in 1915. Soon thereafter he began work on a law degree at Georgetown University, where he was awarded his LLB degree in 1920, during which time he interrupted his studies to serve in the U.S . Army Air Corps. Upon graduation from Georgetown he was immediately admitted to the Bar in Texas in 1920 and in 1922 in Memphis, Tennessee.
After a long and distinguished law career and life as a civic leader, Edward Francis Barry died after a brief illness on September 13, 1984 at the age of 91. He left the bulk of his estate, including his personal archives, and records to the Catholic Diocese of Memphis. The Most Reverend J. Francis Stafford D.D., then Bishop of Memphis, donated Mr. Barry's papers to Christian Brothers University. Bishop Stafford felt that the University would be the most appropriate location for research and study of this historic local and national figure. Mr. Barry was instrumental in assisting the Christian Brothers in acquiring the property on East Parkway where the Brothers moved from Adams Street in the 1940s. Barry was also an Affiliated member of the Christian Brothers, having received Letters of Affiliation from the Superior General on May 5, 1942.
The Barry Collection consists of almost 400 separate files, 10 scrapbooks and over 100 individual honors and awards, including two Papal Orders, The Knighthood of St. Gregory the Great and the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. The collection contains the personal papers of Mr. Barry as well as legal papers of clients, background materials for the many boards on which he served, and letters to and from important personages in his life.
Edward F. Barry was an outstanding civic leader, philanthropist, an avid sportsman and noted humanitarian. On February 28, 1984, Bishop Stafford wrote to the Very Reverend Edward J. Slattery, President, Catholic Extension Society of the United States of America nominating Mr. Barry for the Extension Society's LUMEN CHRISTI award. In his letter of nomination, Bishop op Stafford said "Edward F. Barry must be counted as one of the great Catholic Laymen in the Church of America if he is judged by the standards of self dedication, the sharing of his resources and above all as a staunch advocate for the social needs of his fellow man." Barry worked for better housing for the poor and elderly, better health programs, better education and community development as a whole. He has been widely acclaimed and honored as a Christian and humanitarian. He served as a close personal advisor to five Catholic Bishops in his native state of Tennessee.
Ed Barry's accomplishments are legion and have extended far beyond his native city. He was recognized nationally for his leadership in Public Housing, health care, the American Red Cross and many other charitable, religious and civic endeavors.
Mr. Barry served as a member of the County Court of Shelby County; Vice President and Director of State Savings Bank; President of the Memphis Baseball Southern League Club; President of the Memphis Hospital and Surgical Association; Chairman of Memphis Housing Authority; Member of Board of Directors of National Housing Conference; President, Tennessee Association of Housing Officials; President of Memphis Community Fund from 1934 through 1940; Chairman of Memphis Community Fund Campaign 1941, 1942, 1943; Chairman Initial Gifts Committee 1947, 1948, 1949 Campaign of Memphis and Shelby County Community Chest; Co-Chairman in Memphis of National Conference of Christian and Jews 1947; Chairman of Brotherhood Week for the State of Tennessee; Chairman of Memphis and Shelby County Chapter, American Red Cross Campaigns 1942 and 1943; Chairman of Memphis - Shelby County Chapter Red Cross War Fund Campaigns 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946; Chairman of Memphis - Shelby County Chapter, American Red Cross Campaigns 1947, 1948; Vice Chairman 1946 Convention of American National Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pa.; Chairman Christian Brothers High School and St. Agnes Academy Building Fund Drives; Chairman Memphis Shelby - County 1950 Campaign, American Cancer Society.
Ed Barry's honors and awards are many. He was inducted into Christian Brothers High School Hall of Fame in 1968, received Letters of Affiliation from the Order of Friars Minor in 1970, Letters of Affiliation from the Order of St. Francis in 1961, and Letters of Affiliation from the Society of St. Paul in 1933. He has received honorary doctorates from Southwestern University, Georgetown University, Christian Brothers University and St. Bernard's College. His memory has been perpetuated by the renaming of the Administration Building of Christian Brothers University as Barry Hall, through the Barry Building of the Memphis Housing Authority, the Barry Blue Cross and Blue Shield Building, as well as through the Barry Building at St. Francis Hospital, Barry Hall at the former Siena College, Barry Hall at St. Joseph Hospital, and a donation for the St. Peter Village Sanctuary. All of which honor his memory in the city of Memphis.
One of Mr. Barry's many outstanding achievements was his extraordinary leadership in the initial fundraising campaign to establish St. Jude Research Hospital for Children in Memphis. Mr. Barry served as the first and only Chairman of the St. Jude Board of Directors from 1960 until his retirement in 1982 at the age of 89. Danny Thomas stated publicly that "had it not been for Mr. Barry, St. Jude Hospital might not have been possible." The first medical Director of St. Jude, Dr. Donald Pinkel said "Mr. Barry succeeded in bringing together diverse people and interests to define idealistic, yet specific and concrete goals - the confidence he inspired in all who knew him, his generosity made him the ideal leader of the group.".
A display of personal memorabilia and awards from the Barry Collection can be seen by the public daily in Barry Hall on the campus of Christian Brothers University.
The Brother I. Leo O'Donnell Archives
The Brother I. Leo O'Donnell Archives traces more than 125 years of CBU history and houses several distinctive collections:
- The Edward F. Barry Collection
- The Reverend John Joseph Higgins Collection
- Faculty-Staff Publications and Artistic Achievements
NOTE: Information requests and visits to the Archives are by appointment only. The O'Donnell Archives are not located inside of Plough Library. Interested visitors and researchers may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange access.
The De La Salle Christian Brothers Midwest Province Archival Record & Museum Collections was moved to Manhatten College, Bronx, NY, in 2014.
The Leslie H. Kuehner Napoleon Collection was moved to DePaul University, Chicago, IL, in 2011.