Distinguished Lasallian Educators
Distinguished Lasallian Educators are not always teachers by profession.
What: Throughout the United States and Canada, Lasallian educational ministries recognize individuals for their exceptional work in touching the hearts and minds of their students, often leaving a lasting impression that makes a difference in the world. The significance of this award cannot be underestimated, for these individuals not only manifest but perpetuate the charism of St. John Baptist de La Salle in our contemporary world. As part of the worldwide Lasallian Network, Christian Brothers University takes pride in honoring our own Distinguished Lasallian Educators on an annual basis.
Eligibility: Lasallian educators are those who embody and represent a Lasallian spirit in and through the capacity they are employed at Christian Brothers University. They educate others through their words, actions and service as faculty, staff, and administrators. They must have been a member of the CBU community for at least five years and recommended by their peers as being exemplary in advancing and bringing to life the Lasallian hallmarks that are part of the core identity of CBU.
*Beginning in 2021 CBU began recognizing two Lasallian educators: a faculty member, as well as a staff member or administrator.
The Hallmarks of a Lasallian Educator
At CBU, “teaching” involves faculty, staff, and administrators in many direct and indirect ways, inside and outside of the classroom, office, campus buildings and grounds, playing fields, and athletic courts.
A Distinguished Lasallian Educator is about Excellence and Quality in Teaching whether it be in or out of the classroom:
- Someone who is a notable example of excellence, accomplishment, and/or innovation in the service of students as an educator, teacher, guide, coach, staff or administrator.
- Someone who promotes the highest virtues of education as transformative, assisting students in becoming “whole” and strives to enrich the artistic, cultural, intellectual, athletic, physical, aesthetic, moral, social, and/or spiritual development of students – especially of those who are most in need.
At CBU, “respect for human dignity” is characteristic of students, staff, faculty, and administrators inside and outside of the classroom, office, campus buildings and grounds, playing fields and athletic courts.
Distinguished Lasallian Educators demonstrate that their hearts and minds are committed to the Lasallian hallmark of Touching Hearts:
- Someone who honors and respects the dignity of all individuals, and touches their hearts with compassion, understanding, and love.
- Someone who demonstrates a desire to work together in association with others to build and enhance the inclusive community of CBU.
Remembering the Presence of God
At CBU opportunities for “remembering the presence of God” not only in the University chapels, but in the classroom, the laboratory, the conference rooms, the residence halls, the dining areas, faculty and staff offices, and the playing fields and courts. In other words, the “presence of God” is woven throughout the fabric of the University.
A Distinguished Lasallian Educator advances and brings to life the Lasallian hallmark of Remembering the Presence of God.
- Someone who engages students, staff, administrators, and faculty in thinking critically and examining our world in the light of faith, knowing we are graced with the presence of God each moment.
- Someone who believes in the living presence of God in our students, staff, administrators, and faculty, in our community and in our world.
At CBU an emphasis on “inclusive community” with integrity is expected to be demonstrated by students, staff, faculty, and administrators inside and outside of the classroom, office, campus buildings and grounds, playing fields and athletic courts.
A Distinguished Lasallian Educator advances and brings to life the Lasallian hallmark of Inclusive Community.
- Someone whose actions and character of integrity celebrates diversity and welcomes all members of our community.
- Someone who is generous in assisting others, a great colleague, always lends a hand, goes the extra mile, and supports the best in others — a person whose actions show that caring and including matters.
Commitment to Social Justice
A commitment to social justice” is the foundation for the founding and existence of CBU.
A Distinguished Lasallian Educator advances and brings to life the Lasallian hallmark of Commitment to Social Justice.
- Someone who demonstrates solidarity with the poor and marginalized, and advocates for those suffering from injustices.
- Someone who shows noteworthy concern for and sensitivity to students as well as colleagues who are disadvantaged or ostracized by society.