Reading Specialist Program
In conjunction with the Simultaneous Multi-Sensory Institute of Language Arts (SMILA) Summer Institute, become a licensed reading specialist and help students, parents, and teachers develop and improve lifetime reading skills in their students.
This 18-hour Reading Specialist Program licensure program will prepare you to:
- Provide reading services at all grade levels
- Provide information reading instruction and assessment to classroom teachers, special educators, other professionals, and parents
- Diagnose and evaluate the reading strengths and needs of students
- Provide leadership in developing the literacy program and curriculum
- Implement a simultaneous multi-sensory approach to teaching language arts
Reading Specialist Program Requirements
Reading Specialist Program Courses
- Foundations of Literacy
- Reading Assessment Strategies
- The Reading/Writing Connection
- Integration of Literacy
Reading Specialist Licensure Requirements
- Successfully complete the required courses.
- Pass the Praxis II test for Reading Specialist.
- Complete the application for licensure and request all transcripts which show the above courses and your graduate degree.
- You should already hold an Apprentice or Professional (not Transitional) Tennessee Teaching License. We offer Reading Specialist as an add-on endorsement.
- You should hold a graduate degree. If you do not, please learn more about our graduate education degrees. The Reading Specialist endorsement can be obtained simultaneously with a graduate degree. Contact Dr. Melinda M. Goedecke at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 321-4350 for more information.
How to Apply
- Complete the Reading Specialist Application.
- Complete the CBU Application
- Request official transcripts from all colleges or universities you’ve attended.