The Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, TN hosts roughly 8-10 exhibitions during the academic calendar year. We welcome submissions by a single artist or multiple artists presenting engaging artwork that is attuned to contemporary practices and social issues. Work in all media is considered, including installation and presentations of socially engaged projects. Gallery staff and faculty advisers from the Visual and Performing Arts Department review all proposals on an annual basis.
The proposal deadline for our 2019/20 gallery season is Friday, April 5, 2019.
All proposals should include the following information and submitted as a PDF file(s):
- Artist Statement
- A brief proposal statement expressing your interest in showing artwork in one of our gallery spaces, how you intend to use the space, and any special installation requirements.
- Resumé and brief bio
- Representative images (10-20 images) in Powerpoint or Google Slide format **** For each image, please include the title, date, medium, and dimensions of the artwork in the corresponding slide
- For video work, please submit working links of artwork uploaded to your website, YouTube, or Vimeo.
- Artist contact information: email address, phone number, and website link/Instagram handle
Email submissions to email@example.com. Please include the artist's full name(s) and Exhibition Submission in the subject line of the email (ex. Marcel Duchamp: Exhibition Submission)
****The Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery does not accept hard copies of exhibition submissions and will not consider any proposal that is not submitted in the format described above. ***
- The Beverly & Sam Ross Gallery is composed of two spaces. The Main Gallery (837 sq. ft.), which is a private space that can showcase 2D, 3D, video, and installation artwork. The Gallery Foyer (696 sq. ft.) doubles as a study space for the library and has moveable furniture to adapt to changing artwork. This space has ample wall space but limited floor space.
- Walls in each space are composed of different materials (i.e. concrete, drywall, wood panel) requiring the use of a cabling system to uniformly suspend 2D artwork. Nails/screws can only be added to walls made of dry wall or wood panels. Neither space has the ability to suspend heavy artwork from the ceiling.
- The gallery maintains an inventory of pedestals and vitrines in various sizes and has a limited collection of digital equipment (i.e. projectors and monitors).
- Limited shipping honorariums are available for out of town artists.
- The Beverly & Sam Gallery produces exhibition postcards to distribute to our mailing list. Artists receive a 100 show cards for their personal use. The gallery does not take a commission for the sale of artwork. All sales are handled directly by the artist.
If you have any questions, please contact Cat Peña, Gallery Director, at (901) 321-3243 or firstname.lastname@example.org.