Programs & Services
Career Services has partnered with the online Handshake recruitment system to allow all students and alumni to post resumes, cover letters, and other professional documents. Students and alumni can also browse and apply for specific employment opportunities that are posted by employers. Registration for this service is free to all students and alumni.
Likewise, recruiters can also register for Handshake, where they can post job opportunities for students and alumni to review, and can browse the resumes of qualified CBU candidates in the system. Registration for employers is free.
CBU Career Services offers in-person and virtual career counseling appointments. To schedule an appointment, please do so through Handshake:
- Sign in to your Handshake account.
- Click “Career Center”, then “Appointments.”
- Click the blue “Schedule A New Appointment” link.
- Select the type of appointment you want to make from the list of options.
- The list of available dates and times then appears…scroll through the list and select the time you’d like to meet.
- On the last screen, fill in a few details in the “What can we help you with” box, then click the green “Request” button. You will receive a confirmation message/email.
Career & Internship Expo and Graduate School Expo
Career Services hosts Career and Graduate School Expos on campus each academic year. Admission is free to all CBU students and alumni. The Career & Internship Expo (held each February) welcomes recruiters representing a wide variety of industries to recruit for full-time/part-time employment and internships. The Career Expo is open to all majors and all class years. A list of companies scheduled to attend will appear in the Career Services newsletter in advance of each event, along with the academic majors each company is seeking.
The Graduate School Expo (held each September) welcomes approximately 70 graduate and professional programs from around the country, representing a wide variety of interests. Check the Career Services newsletter for dates and details as they become available.
Registration for both events is available through the Handshake system.
Career Services hosts multiple industry-specific expos on campus each academic year. Admission is free to all CBU students and alumni.
- Meet the Firms (August) welcomes recruiters representing the Accounting and Finance industries.
- Engineering Career Day (September) allows for the recruitment of our Gadomski School of Engineering students for both internships and full-time employment.
- Reverse Career Fair for Visual Artists (March) allows our Visual Arts students and alumni to showcase their work to potential employers.
Registration for each event is available through the Handshake system.
Campus interviews arranged through Career Services give students the opportunity to interview with major companies, government agencies, and school systems. Our office arranges multiple individual interviews each year with dozens of organizations. Most of these interviews are conducted for full-time positions and focus primarily on graduating seniors. Campus interviews geared toward internships are occasionally held for sophomores and juniors as well. Details on campus interviews are published in the Career Directions newsletter as they are scheduled by employers. Opportunities to interview with employers on campus will be sent via targeted emails to students in specific majors.
Career Services provides a variety of resources to assist you in adequately preparing for interviews. Students should prepare for a campus interview just as they would for any other interview, including appropriate research and professional dress. A Mock Interview is encouraged. Call our office to schedule a mock interview.
NOTE: No-showing or same-day canceling a campus interview, mock interview, or other appointment scheduled with an employer or recruiter will result in the loss of your Career Services privileges for the rest of the semester, unless a letter of apology is written to the employer within 24 hours (the Career Services Director must be copied on this apology). It is extremely disrespectful to any recruiter to no-show for an appointment; doing so reflects very poorly on our office, on CBU, and most importantly, on you. If you absolutely must cancel an interview appointment, you should give at least 48 hours notice to our office.
Programs & Workshops
Every semester, Career Services conducts a wide variety of programs and workshops. Topics and events include:
- Mock Interview Day with Employers
- Career Networking Socials
- Career Panels
- “Leading Ladies” Panel
- Career Workshops: Resume Writing, Interviewing Skills, Job Search Strategies, Networking, Salary Negotiation and more
- First Impressions – Professional Etiquette Series (Personal Branding, Professional Communication, Dining Etiquette, Soft Skills, Slam Dunk Networking, First 30 Days)
- Pizza & Professionals/Cupcakes & Careers – Employer Information Sessions
- CBU 200 (Career Planning Class)
- Externship Program
- Summer Job & Volunteer Fair
- Career Closet
Event dates, times, and locations are advertised in The Career Services newsletter at least two weeks prior to the event.
Career Services Newsletter
The Career Services Newsletter is published via email each Monday, and is used to announce all pertinent information concerning upcoming workshops, seminars, information sessions, campus interview dates, and other Career Services events. Recent career-related job openings are also highlighted each week.Sign Up to Receive the Newsletter