Knowing the best strategies and techniques will help you become successful in this challenging but rewarding field. Our BA in special education will teach you these best practices as you progress through our comprehensive program. In addition, CBU’s atmosphere of free inquiry, dialogue, and interfaith concern will help you grow in your ability to think critically and creatively.
When you complete this program, you will be ready to meet licensure requirements for the State of Tennessee.
- Wide range of topics providing adding depth and breadth to your educational experience
- Practical knowledge on how to create successful inclusion environments for students with disabilities
- Field experiences supervised by your professors and highly experienced teachers
What You’ll Study
The program requires 126 credit hours:
- 34 credits: General Education. Math, English, religious studies, natural science, foreign language, and fine arts courses
- 36 credits: Liberal Arts. Humanities and social sciences courses
- 19 credits: Special Education Major courses
- 37 credits: Professional Education requirements
The CBU catalog (PDF) will give you a list of specific courses.
Our highly credentialed education faculty will mentor you through this program.
A major in special education opens doors to a wide range of careers where you can have a positive impact on the lives of people with disabilities:
- Special education teacher
- Early intervention specialist
- Special education advocate
- Educational audiologist
- Speech and language pathologist
Clubs and Organizations
As a member of The Student Tennessee Education Association (STEA), you will have an edge during the crucial first five years in the classroom. One of the nation's largest state affiliates for students preparing to teach, STEA will add to your formal education by providing life lessons about salaries, contracts, competency testing, evaluation, discipline, certification requirements. For more information, visit https://ims.nea.org/JoinNea/.
Christian Brothers University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the State Department of Education of Tennessee as a Teacher Training Institution. CBU is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the Tennessee Association of Colleges.
Ready to take the next step toward becoming a CBU student? Schedule a visit, request more information, or apply online.
Continue your education with our Master of Arts in Teaching.