Enter your search term & enter. Esc or X to close.


The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides part-time employment to students attending CBU who need the earnings to help meet their costs of postsecondary education and encourages students receiving FWS assistance to participate in community service activities.

F-1 Visa Students Please Note: Federal Work-Study Jobs are available only to US citizens, permanent residents, temporary legal residents, asylees, and refugees; therefore, you are not eligible to apply for any on-campus job listed as a federal work-study job.

For information about the current jobs available on campus, students may sign in to their CBU CareerLinX account to see what positions are available.

*A Work-Study Check List Approval Form must be completed by the student before they can begin working.

IMPORTANT: Just about all students are eligible for work-study, but you must already have a work-study award from the Student Financial Resources office (either Federal or Institutional) before you can apply for any of these positions. If you don't have a work-study award already, you can contact the Financial Aid office or review your awards to see if you qualify. Review your awards by logging into your BannerWeb account, select Financial Aid > My Award Information > Award Year. You will then see a series of tabs. You must first select the Terms and Conditions tab before the Accept Award Offer tab can instantly become activated. Once the Accept Award Offer tab becomes activated you may select it to review your awards. \

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time employment opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need. Students who are eligible for the FWS program have a portion of their wages paid by the federal government. Students are paid hourly at a rate set by the student's employer. Employment can be on-campus or off-campus. Off-campus employers are private non-profit organizations or public agencies who have established an agreement CBU. Students are notified of their eligibility for Federal Work-Study as part of their financial aid package.

Federal Work-Student earnings are paid directly to the student and are not applied to the student's account in the Business Office.

Job placement assistance is provided by CBU Career Services.

To apply for a work-study or campus intern position:
  • Log in to your CBU CareerLinX account
  • Click on the "Jobs & Internships" tab at the top of the page, and select "Listings From CBU Career Services"
  • Click "Advanced Search," and then select any of the CBU work-study or intern options in the "position type" section (you can choose more than one by holding down the "Control" key); then click "search"
  • All available positions will then display with the first few points of the job description. Click the title of each position to view the entire listing.
  • Follow the directions with each position regarding how to apply (some may ask that you load a resume, others may have an application, or ask that you call or come by the office)

If you need any assistance crafting, editing, or improving your resume, be sure to contact a Career Counselor in the Career Services Office.

Frequently Asked Questions About Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study?
If you have applied for financial aid you may be awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds through the Financial Aid Office. You must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in order to be awarded Work-Study. The term "Work-Study" indicates that you may be provided with opportunities for employment that are subsidized by the federal government while you are enrolled for at least 6 credit hours graduate or undergraduate. The receipt of an FWS award does NOT guarantee you a job. However, you do have exclusive access to apply for positions classified as federal work-study jobs.

Are work-study jobs on or off-campus?
Most on-campus departments can hire work-study students. Additionally, off-campus and Community Service Federal Work-Study (CSFWS) positions are available in non-profit and government agencies. You can apply for these positions through your CBU CareerLinX account.   

Do I receive my work-study award as a lump sum?
Federal work-study awards are not disbursed to you in a lump sum. You will receive monthly paychecks based on the hours you have worked. You must earn the awarded money to receive it.

How many hours can I work per week?
Student employees may not exceed forty (40) hours per week.

Can I have more than one job?
Yes, but you must notify and receive approval by the Financial Aid Work-Study Coordinator.

How much will I get paid?
You will be notified of your hourly rate of pay and work-schedule the hiring department. You cannot exceed your work-study funds.

When do I get paid?
Work study is paid monthly with timecards due in the business office on the last business day of each month. Checks are available for pickup no later than the fifth business day of the following month. Students must present picture ID when picking up a check.

Are my wages taxed?
All earnings are taxable. You may not make enough to file. If you do file you must include your work-study wages.

What kind of fringe benefits do I receive?
You are NOT eligible for fringe benefits such as insurance or paid lunch, holidays, sick leave, vacation, or time off for inclement weather.

What happens when my work-study award is depleted?
If you have earned the entire award before the end date of your assignment, the work-study job ends and you are removed from payroll. If you work on-campus, you may be hired as a part-time on-campus student worker. This is at the discretion of the employer.