Christian Brothers University
Christian Brothers University is a four-year, private university affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. The University was founded in 1871 by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, a Catholic teaching order.
CBU is located on a 75-acre wooded campus in midtown Memphis, Tennessee—about four miles east of downtown; near Interstates 40, 240, and 55; and close to major medical centers. The campus is at 650 East Parkway South, at the corner of Central Avenue.
- Christian Brothers University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, and the master’s degree. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Christian Brothers University. Normal inquiries about Christian Brothers University, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Christian Brothers University and not to the Commission’s office.
- CBU is authorized to operate in the state of Tennessee by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Parkway Towers, Suite 1900, 404 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, TN 37243, (615) 741-3605.
- Undergraduate and graduate education programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, 1140 19th Street, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 223-0077. CBU is approved as a Teacher Training Institution by the State Board of Education of the Tennessee Department of Education, Ninth Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower, 710 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, TN 37243-0375. A list of CBU’s approved Educator Preparation Programs can be found at here.
- The chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering degree programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, (410) 347-7700.
- The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), 12000 Findley Road, Suite 150, Johns Creek, GA 30079 accredits physician assistant programs in the United States.
- The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the Christian Brothers University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Christian Brothers University.
- Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students.
- Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Christian Brothers University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington DC 20001, (202) 887-6791.
Distinctions and Rankings
Read about all of CBU's recognitions and rankings.
1,892 students (49% female, 51% male); 29 states, 29 countries; 40% minority; 7% international
While CBU is a Catholic university, 34 different faiths are represented in the student body (24% are Catholic). Religious observances are not required, but students are encouraged to practice their faith openly and actively.
105 full-time faculty. 13:1 student/faculty ratio. Average class size is 14.
Moderately residential. 67% of freshmen live on campus.
NCAA Division II, Gulf South Conference. 15 varsity sports (7 men's: basketball, baseball, soccer, cross-country, tennis, golf, track & field; 8 women's: basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, cross-country, softball, volleyball, track & field), club sports, and intramurals. Athletic team name and mascot: Buccaneers
Red and Gray (the official print color for CBU red is PANTONE 186 and gray is PANTONE 408). See brand standards for CBU (.pdf)
Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology, Child Development (Education PreK-3), Cultural Studies (Licensure 4-8), Creative Writing, English, English for Corporate Communications, History, Liberal Studies (Licensure K-6), Mathematics, Psychology, Religion & Philosophy
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with concentrations in Banking, Finance, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Management
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Graduate Degree Programs
- Business: Master of Business Administration, Master of Accountancy, Healthcare Management MBA
- Education: Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Education, Master of Science in Educational Leadership
- Engineering: Master of Science in Engineering Management, Master of Science in Computer Information Systems
- Health Programs: Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies
- Traditional Day Undergraduate Tuition: $31,000 per year, full-time
- Professional Studies (Adult Learners) Tuition: $395 per credit hour
- RN to BSN Program (Nursing) Tuition: $420 per credit hour
97% of full-time undergraduate students receive some financial aid. Average award: $15,808
Graduate Program Tuition
- Master of Accountancy (includes books and meals): $695 per semester hour
- Master of Business Administration (includes books and meals): $695 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Computer Information Systems: $725 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Engineering Management: $725 per semester hour
- Master of Education: $600 per semester hour
- Master of Arts in Teaching: $600 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Educational Leadership: $565 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies: $11,300 per semester