When you receive financial aid at CBU you assume certain rights and responsibilities.

View Your Student Rights and Responsibilities

To be eligible for financial aid you must:

Your eligibility for financial aid at Christian Brothers University is contingent on several factors, which are spelled out below.

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have financial need as determined by the FAFSA (except for unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, or PLUS loans)
  • Be admitted to a degree seeking program at CBU
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress towards your degree
  • Not be in default on a federal loan or owe a refund or repayment of a federal grant
    • To check your federal loan or grant history, visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for Students website and select the Financial Aid Review option (you will need your FAFSA ID to view your history).
    • Meet Financial Aid enrollment requirements. With the exception of the Federal Pell Grant, students must be enrolled at least half-time for financial aid eligibility. For undergraduate students, half-time for financial aid purposes is at least 6 hours in the fall, spring, and summer term. For graduate students, half-time for financial aid purposes is at least 5 hours in the fall and spring term and summer term. To be considered for financial aid eligibility, the classes taken must be required for you to complete your degree. The Office of Financial Aid considers a student to be registered for a class when the student is registered on the Census Date for the full-term session.
    • Please see the different types of awards for further details regarding eligibility requirements specific to programs.
    • The federal Pell Grant program is limited to six years of full-time enrollment, or its equivalent.
Check your Pell Grant Eligibility
  • Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid. An exception to this rule are post-baccalaureate students seeking MLIC certification as an elementary or secondary school teacher. In this case the otherwise eligible student may receive federal student loans for classes required for teacher certification.