Dr. Pam Church, Professor of Accounting, CPA, has taught in the areas of auditing and financial, managerial, and governmental accounting. With experience in the banking, manufacturing, and public accounting fields, she is a member of the Tennessee State Board of Accountancy and of two committees of the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy. Pam’s recent research has focused on new hires’ assimilation into public accounting firms, and she enjoys helping students achieve success in fulfilling careers. Pam, a native Memphian, and her husband, Jim, have three adult children and one granddaughter, all of whom live in Memphis.
- University of Houston, PhD
- University of Memphis, MS
- University of Memphis, BSE
Publications and Research Focus
• Gates of entry into the CPA profession and other financial professions
• Public accounting firms’ processes for successful assimilation of new hires
• Best practices for preparing students for entry into the public accounting profession
• Evolution of organizational culture in CPA firms
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
• “Defining the Gates of Entry to the C.P.A. Profession.” American Accounting Association Annual Meeting. August 2018
• “The Shifting Gates of Entry to the C.P.A. Profession.” – Dialogue Session, Midwest Region American Accounting Association meeting, October 2017
• “Opinion: Want to reduce turnover? Treat workers like people.” MarketWatch, April 18, 2016. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/want-to-reduce-turnover-treat-workers-like-people- 2016-04-18
• “Assimilation of New Hires in Public Accounting,” Current Issues in Auditing, Volume 8, Number 2, December, 2014. http://aaapubs.org/doi/full/10.2308/ciia-50926
• “Assimilation of New Hires in Public Accounting,” American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, August 2014, Atlanta, Georgia.
Service and Community Engagement
I have enjoyed becoming involved in professional service at the state and national levels. As a member of the Tennessee State Board of Accountancy as well as the NASBA Transition Task Force (for new CPA exam content) and the NASBA Computer-Based Testing Committee, I have had opportunities to help in oversight of the CPA profession. Also, I am on the Regional Advisory Council of ImpactAmerica SaveFirst Volunteer Tax Preparation Program and was honored to be inducted into the ImpactAmerica Hall of Fame in 2020. This group trains and organizes college students to prepare tax returns for low-income families.
7:30-10:30 am Mondays and Wednesdays 5:00- 7:00 pm Mondays and Thursdays preferred contacts: email@example.com, (901)268-2779