T.2d Food and Meals


Keeping in mind that all meal and entertainment expenses must withstand the test of public scrutiny, any employees using either University or donor funds to purchase meals and/or entertainment must exercise prudent judgement when determining whether or not an expense is appropriate.

The following expenditures are not permitted or allowable for reimbursement from either University resources or donor-provided funds under the University’s policies and practices:

  • Meals that include only company employees, unless travelling on company business and/or approved in advance by the CFO;
  • Meals purchased when departing on and/or arriving from CBU travel assignments; and
  • Alcoholic beverages for faculty, staff, coaches, and/or students.

The University is obligated to comply with IRS regulations, which require that all business expenses be substantiated with adequate records. This substantiation, which shall accompany the related request for reimbursement or purchase card reconciliation, must include, at a minimum, sufficient information relating to:

  1. The amount of the expenditure.
  2. The time and place of the expenditure.
  3. The business purpose of the expenditure.
  4. The names and business relationships of individuals other than the employee for whom the expenditures were made.


All meal or entertainment receipts submitted for reimbursement must be sufficiently detailed in regards to the food and beverages provided, and the names of the attendees and the purpose of the meal/entertainment must be documented on the accompanying request for reimbursement or purchase card reconciliation. The receipt must be scanned and submitted along with either the purchasing card reconciliation or via expense reimbursement.

Employee and student meals should not exceed $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch, and $30 for dinner. The University will reimburse only for standard daily meals, up to and including three (3) meals a day. The University does not reimburse for snacks throughout the day when traveling. The University does not pay per diems for food.

When traveling with students, it is the responsibility of the University employee to cover the cost of meals for the students. Cash advances and gift cards should not be used to cover student meals.