Teacher Education Program
As a candidate for the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program, you should seek entry into the program by the end of your sophomore year. You must be accepted into the program before you enroll in any 300- or 400-level education course.
- Obtain a Teacher Education Program application packet from the Teacher Education Office.
- Complete all parts of the application and return it by the deadline set during the semester.
- You will receive notification of the time and date of an interview with the Undergraduate teacher Education Program Committee.
- Prepare for the interview by studying the suggested questions provided in the application packet.
- Meet with the Undergraduate Teacher Education Committee for an interview.
- You will receive a written response from the Committee with the results of your interview and application for admission into the Program.
General Entry Requirements for the Teacher Education Program
- You must have at least a 2.75 GPA. Only candidates without a 2.75 GPA must take and pass the Core Academic Skills for Educators Test: (5712-Reading; 5722-Writing; 5732-Mathematics) for admission. Minimum scores are Reading – 156, Mathematics – 150, and Writing – 162. More information can be obtained at www.ets.org. The test may be taken at The University of Memphis’s testing center or through the computerized program as listed with the Praxis information.
- Your completed application must be filed with the CBU Department of Education before an interview time will be given. Components of the application include general information, biographical information, autobiographical essay, philosophy of education, and two letters of recommendation.
- You must also PASS the Content Knowledge Praxis II test for whichever license you are planning to pursue. This is for licensing so it must be taken while in the program. If you were not required the CORE for admission, you will take and pass it while in the program as well.
- You must complete the program with a 2.75 cumulative grade point average in the major, in all professional education courses, and overall.
- You will interview with the TEPC, which will evaluate these characteristics: communication skills, people orientation, personal traits, and general promise as a teacher.
- There is no conditional admittance to TEP.