Following is a comprehensive list of Dual Enrollment FAQ for the program at CBU.

Who is eligible?

High school students may enroll during the summer after completing their sophomore year (grade 10) or at any time during their junior or senior years (grades 11 and 12). Enrollment for high school credit must be approved by the high school and/or school district. Students must also meet admissions criteria for Christian Brothers University: an ACT score of at least 21 and a minimum GPA of 2.5. To receive the Tennessee Dual Enrollment Grant, a student must be a resident of Tennessee.

Can out-of-state students participate in CBU’s Dual Enrollment Program?

Yes, Christian Brothers University allows qualified out-of-state students to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program by paying a reduced tuition rate of $500 per approved course offered at a local high school or $510 for a course offered on CBU’s campus, plus any additional costs for books.

Where will the classes meet?

There are two different ways for students to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program at CBU. Many students attend class at their current high schools and a few attend class on CBU’s campus.

What courses are available?

Most 100- and 200- level courses are available to be taken on CBU’s campus. The Dual Enrollment Grant applies to 100- and 200-level college courses. A student is limited to two courses per semester for a total of 18 hours per academic year. Course descriptions and prerequisite requirements can be found in the academic catalog.

Can students take Dual Enrollment classes in more than one year?

Yes, students may continue to participate as long as they achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or greater in college courses. The Tennessee Dual Enrollment Grant program pays for a student to earn from 1 to 24 hours (or up to eight courses) of college credit.

How is the grade for a Dual Enrollment class determined?

The grade for a CBU course is determined by criteria established by Christian Brothers University; the high school grade for the course is determined by criteria established by the high school. If a student has a question about a grade that was received, the student should discuss the matter with the instructor.

If the student’s college GPA is below the minimum required for the HOPE scholarship, will that student be able to qualify for the HOPE scholarship upon entry into college after high school graduation?

Yes, grades earned in Dual Enrollment classes will not factor into the calculation for college GPA in regards to the HOPE Scholarship.

If a student completes college courses at CBU through Dual Enrollment, is the student automatically admitted to CBU after high school graduation?

Students are not automatically granted admission to Christian Brothers University upon successful completion of a course taken through the Dual Enrollment Program. Students must apply for regular admission to CBU and meet all admissions criteria.

Can courses taken through the Dual Enrollment Program at CBU be transferred to other colleges or universities?

Most colleges and universities will award transfer credit for courses completed at CBU (a regionally accredited institution of higher education) if the courses were completed with a grade of “C” or better. For coursework to be considered for transfer credit, an official transcript of the student’s work at CBU must be sent directly from CBU to the college or university of the student’s choice. Officials at the receiving institution will determine whether transfer credit will be awarded. Since CBU does not make that decision, CBU cannot guarantee the coursework will be accepted at any other institution.

How does a student request that an official transcript be sent to another college or university?

To obtain your official CBU transcript, visit our transcript request page (requires login).

Once CBU receives the tuition payment, does the student receive credit for the course?

Credit is awarded after the student has successfully completed all requirements for the course. Payment alone does not ensure college credit.

Are there any out-of-pocket expenses?

Students taking courses online or on CBU’s campus may need to purchase textbooks.

How does a student apply to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

The student must complete the Dual Enrollment application and return it to CBU. Next, he or she must apply online for the grant funding through TSAC. Official high school transcripts and standardized test scores are required as well.

Will parents have access to dual enrollment course grades without the student’s consent?

No. College students are covered by a federal law known as FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). Under this law college records cannot be released to anyone other than the student without his/her written consent, even if the student is a minor. Students wishing to grant access to grades to a parent or guardian may submit a Consent to Release Information form to the Registrar’s Office.

Is the tuition refundable?

If a student drops the course before it begins the tuition can be refunded. If a student withdraws from a course however, the tuition is non-refundable as well, since the student took part of the course.

Can the Dual Enrollment Grant administered by TSAC be used to pay two separate colleges/universities?

No. Christian Brothers University does not allow a student to receive the Dual Enrollment Grant at two separate institutions. An eligible student can receive the full amount per semester at CBU, but cannot split it between CBU and another college/university even if they are enrolled in the two programs simultaneously.