Master of Arts in Teaching - Memphis, TN | CBU

Enter your search term & enter. Esc or X to close.

The Rosa DealSchool of Arts

Master of Arts in Teaching

M.A.T: for those who already hold a bachelor's degree and wish to obtain initial teaching licensure. The degree is also available to candidates interested in pursuing transitional licensure.

Licensure-Only Program: for those who already hold a bachelor's degree but who do not wish to obtain a graduate degree. The program is also available to candidates interested in pursing transitional licensure.

Non-degree, non-licensure program: please fill out the Special Graduate Education student application found here.

Available Licensures

CBU's Initial Teaching Licensure Programs (Master of Arts in Teaching & Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program Licensure-Only) are designed to provide initial teaching licensure at one of the following levels:

  • Art K-12 (Visual Arts)
  • Biology 6-12
  • Chemistry 6-12
  • Early Childhood Education PreK-4
  • Elementary Education K-5
  • English 6-12
  • French PreK-12
  • German PreK-12
  • History 6-12
  • Mathematics 6-12
  • Middle Grades Education 6-8 (all content areas)
  • Physics 6-12
  • Reading Specialist PreK-12 (only available in conjunction with another area)
  • Spanish PreK-12
  • Special Education Interventionist K-8 and 6-12
Admissions Requirements

The M.A.T. program admits only those individuals who wish to earn an initial teaching license and a graduate degree simultaneously. Candidates for initial teaching licensure face additional requirements because of licensure. Tennessee requires that all individuals seeking initial teaching licensure must provide evidence of a strong general education and mastery of a major in the arts or sciences earned at the undergraduate level.

The current minimum GPA requirement is a 2.75 for admission to the program. 

Content knowledge tests and Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educatiors-5751 must be taken and passed within first 12 hours of coursework. Candidate must register for and take the tests within the first 8 weeks of their second semester (within first 4 weeks if summer is second semester) and CBU must receive passing test scores by the end of the 16 weeks of the candidate’s second semester (by the end of the 8 weeks if summer is second semester) in order for candidate to continue with any further coursework.

State and national standards for initial teaching licensure may mandate that an individual complete undergraduate deficiencies in either general education or a major area in the arts or sciences, in addition to required graduate credit hours. We must also have two official copies of transcripts from each college/university you have previously attended one for our university records and the other for the Tennessee Dept. of Education for licensing purposes.

Licensure Requirements
  • Successful completion of undergraduate or other content deficiencies and graduate coursework (3.0 or higher)
  • Field experiences
  • Internal and external assessments, including the Praxis II tests and edTPA
Before you apply

Familiarize yourself with the following documents:

International Student Information

For Immigration Matters:
Primary Designated School Official (PDSO)
Karen Conway, Dean of Students — Rozier Center,, (901) 321-3536

All international students must read the PDSO/Dean of Student’s page, Immigration Matters

Please also see the International Student Information sheet for more information. 
Application Form

MAT Online Application - This is the application for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. If interested in the Post-Baccalaureate TEP, Licensure-Only, please select the appropriate option on the application.

  • Please be prepared to upload the following information as you complete the online application:
    • Work Samples (if applicable)
    • Letter of Recommendation Recipient Email Address
    • Goals Essay, Philosophy of Education, and Autobiographical Sketch
    • Letters of recommendation: As part of the application, you will be asked to provide email addresses of individuals to contact regarding recommendations. Please select two of the following:
      • Spiritual Mentor
      • Professor/Faculty Member
      • Employer or supervisor (work or volunteer experience)
      • Peer (roommate, friend but NOT a family member)


For more information, contact the Education Department at or (901) 321-4350.