Pharmacy Agreement with Union University
Guaranteed Interview Agreement (GIA) with the Union University School of Pharmacy
CBU now has a Guaranteed Interview Agreement (GIA) with the Union University School of Pharmacy (UUSOP) that allows the possibility for CBU students to be accepted into the Union University School of Pharmacy after their third year at CBU, and to earn a B.S. in Natural Science from CBU as they earn their Doctorate in Pharmacy degree, a Pharm.D., from Union University.
This GIA allows highly qualified CBU students to sit for an Admissions Interview for UUSOP's next entering class up to a year earlier than the typical undergraduate student. This may result in acceptance to UUSOP following their junior year, reducing their total undergraduate and professional education by one full year. Students who have successfully completed their junior year at CBU, including all GERs and who subsequently obtain their pharmacy degree at UUSOP may be awarded the Bachelor of Science in Natural Science degree by CBU.
Terms and Conditions
1. Students must complete the prerequisite coursework for admission to UUSOP as specified below.
2. Students must achieve at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and receive no grade below a "C" in any specified prerequisite course.
3. Students must take the PCAT.
4. Students meeting the foregoing conditions shall be exempted from initial screening and will be granted an admissions interview for the next entering class.
5. The foregoing notwithstanding, this agreement provides no assurances of admission for any student applying under this agreement.
6. UUSOP reserves the sole right to approve courses comprising the applicable GIA prerequisite coursework. The Christian Brothers University Pre-Pharmacy Advisor or other designated individual shall notify the UUSOP Office of Admissions of any desired substitutions or changes to any of the courses comprising the prerequisite coursework.
7. UUSOP reserves the sole right to modify the grade point average and PCAT criteria; however, the criteria in effect at the time of a student's enrollment at CBU shall be applicable.
Eligiblily and Process
1. GIA students are required to apply for admission via PharmCAS and the UUSOP supplemental application. UUSOP works on a rolling admissions cycle. The completed application (which includes all supporting materials) deadline for GIA applicants is February 1.
2. Students are required to notify the pre-pharmacy advisor at Christian Brothers University of their intent to apply for admission to UUSOP through the GIA program. The pre-professional advisor shall determine the process for doing such and shall be responsible for informing students of said process.
3. The pre-pharmacy advisor shall be responsible for informing the UUSOP Office of Admissions of applicants meeting the GIA criteria.
4. Students certified by the pre-pharmacy advisor as meeting GIA criteria will be contacted by the UUSOP Office of Admissions to schedule the interview following receipt of the PharmCAS application and the UUSOP supplemental application.
Required Courses for UUSOP:
Biology (2 semesters) BIOL 111, 111L, 112, 112L
General Chemistry (2 semesters) CHEM 113, 113L, 114, 114L
Organic Chemistry (2 semesters) CHEM 211, 211L, 212, 212L
Human Anatomy & Physiology (2 semesters) BIOL 217, 217L, 218, 218L
Physics I (1 semester) either PHYS 150 & 150L or PHYS 201 & 201L
Microbiology (1 semester) BIOL 321, 321L
Calculus (1 semester) MATH 131
Statistics (1 semester) MATH 201, PSYC 354, or BIOL 340
Written Composition (2 semesters) ENG 111, 112
Communications/Speech (1 semester) SPCH 125
Humanities Electives (2 semesters) Any courses in ART, ENG, PHIL, HIST, FREN , GERM, RUSS, SPAN
Social Science Elective (2 semesters) Any courses in ANTH, ECON, POLS, PSYC, SOC
General Electives (1 semester) Any course
Courses that will increase the strength of the applicant's candidacy include
Biochemistry (CHEM 315, 315L), Immunology (BIOL 415, 415L), Genetics (BIOL 311, 311L), and a second semester of physics (PHYS 202, 202L).
B.S. in Natural Science from CBU with completion of the pharmacy degree
A student interested in this three year program may pursue any major at CBU as long as the listed courses are included. In addition to the listed required courses, the student should be sure that all the CBU General Education requirements are met and that the eight hour physics requirement is met. If the student is accepted into the program, the professional school courses can be used to satisfy the remaining science and free electives of the Natural Science major. The NSCI 410 requirement can be waived in favor of the professional school courses. The student should work both with the CBU Pre-Health Advisor and with their academic advisor for their major to be sure the student remains on track. If the student is not accepted into the professional school after the third year, the student is encouraged to continue with their preferred major and apply for regular admission during the following year. The first three years of the paradigms for Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Science, and Natural Science can be followed with only minor adjustments based on including all of the required courses listed above.